Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever before have numerous new strategies and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to reduce or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by expensive ads about a specific laser. Pick the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not understand can harm you.
4. Request info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, find another one. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the threat of getting less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each patient. Beware of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a hard sell. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting until the brand-new lenses are offered. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the benefits: for most individuals, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical helpful site treatment has enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals worldwide.